Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tofu Subs



The Schwan's man came to my door today. He came three times. He rang the doorbell. He knocked. He yelled, "Hello?" You see, I usually buy quite a lot from the Schwan's man, and whenever I don't, he looks so crestfallen that I feel guilty.

I wasn't sure how to explain about the January anti-consumerism bet, and how Schwan's food just, well...doesn't really fit in. But he finally caught me on his third visit, because my friend Mariah was walking out the door as he was walking up the driveway. I turned him away two weeks ago and just didn't have the heart to do it again. So, I compromised. I bought frozen corn, frozen peas, three-for-two-dollars-off cheap frozen pizzas the kids like, and a package of their delicious multi-grain rolls. Ben wanted the strawberry sorbet, but apparently that's a seasonal item. Sorry, Ben.

But the multi-grain rolls gave me the idea for dinner. I toasted the rolls in the oven, then I made salmon salad sub rolls for Angus and Ben, using a can of salmon I've had in the cupboard for months, mayonnaise, mustard, and pickle relish. Emmett got a leftover turkey hotdog on his--Emmett's journey towards healthy eating has consisted of baby steps (usually he has to eat what we eat, but this was easy).

Mine was the best of all. I marinated two slices of tofu in soy sauce and sesame oil, then grilled them in my panini maker. I put Asian hot sauce (I know, again, I love the stuff) on the sub roll, then some lettuce and two big kosher dill pickle spears, topped off with the tofu. Add some baby carrots, and it was dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment